Gain an impression
We have more than ten years of experience in a wide range of projects. The following selection shows you our diverse and comprehensive application possibilities in the areas: Automotive, Energy technology, Household appliances, Medical technology, ... Please understand that we cannot disclose all details for reasons of customer protection.
Power plant filter
We were asked to find the cause of vibrations within a gas pressure control and measuring system. After investigating the flow behaviour, these could be attributed to the asymmetrical and swirling outflow from the filter. The filter is used to separate solids (e.g. rust particles) and liquids from the gas.
By adapting the internal components (while retaining the original filter cartridges), it was possible to achieve a uniform filter outflow. The separation efficiency was increased, the required installation space reduced and the pressure loss halved. The halved pressure loss leads to a (hydraulic) power saving of approx. 15,000 W (corresponds to 2.5 MWh per week when operating 24/7).
In a "wetgate" film scanner, the film leaves the apparatus too wet, it drips. The nozzles (called Air-Knifes) used for drying do not manage to blow the tetrachloroethylene (PER) off the film to a sufficient extent. The optimised nozzles should be plug'n'play interchangeable.
The redesigned nozzles convert the available compressed air into kinetic energy much more efficiently. So efficient that the inlet pressure can be reduced by approx. 20 %. Now the film is wound up without dripping. Shown are the velocity fields in the middle of the film.
We were asked to design an intake distribution pipe for the adaptation of a larger throttle. The aim is to de-throttle the intake for the purpose of increasing performance.
Our flow-optimised design can be used plug'n'play without restrictions as a functional prototype (or as small series production). Manufactured via 3D printing (MJFMulti Jet Fusion).
As a component of a household appliance, a radial fan is to be optimised so that the overall appliance achieves a better EEIEnergy Efficiency Index. The spiral housing must not be changed in order to keep the injection moulding tool costs low. An acoustic improvement is also desirable.
Our design does increase the (static) efficiency of the fan by approx. 50 %. This corresponds to a (hydraulic) power saving of 11 W. Calculated per 100,000 units, this amounts to 1.1 MW, „just“ with a smarter fan design. The operating noise could be reduced by approx. 3 db. (all velocity scales are identical)
Ultrasonic water meter
The flow behavior of a water meter shall be investigated, since it issues too high measuring uncertainties in some operating points. This is supposed to be usable for a very large dynamic rangeMaximum to minimum flow ratio (240 in this case). The currently used sensors (transducer) are to be retained.
Our designed variant fulfils all requirements. The flow in the measuring area is much more even which leads to lower measuring uncertainties over the hole operating range. In addition, the pressure loss is approx. 30 % lower.
The currently used dust trap filters dust, largely consisting of iron oxide, by means of a glass fibre filter mat. It is to be investigated whether this mat can be substituted by a "smart" flow guidance.
Our final design meets all requirements and does not need an additional filter mat. The standard test regarding the filter rate has been passed. Compared to the reference, the pressure loss could be reduced by approx. 20 %.
Fluid mechanics laboratory
Selection of measurement technology, project planning and construction supervision. The available space must be used optimally. Research and teaching shall be possible in the same way.
The laboratory is now (among other things) equipped with: soundproofed room, acoustic camera (beamforming), chamber test rig, 3D PIVParticle Image Velocimetry system, small wind tunnel. The floor planning also allows the combination of different test benches, e.g. chamber test rig and soundproofed room.
Design of a retrofittable (with little effort) ventilation system for classrooms. The room air should be "exchanged" at least three times per hour without causing discomfort (due to draughts) to the people. The natural convection occurring in this room due to human waste heat should be effectively supported.
Our presented concept fulfils all requirements. The air exchange takes place four times per hour and can be supported by a HEPAHigh Efficiency-Particulate Airfilter filter. The maximum air velocity is (still) below 15 cm/s and is therefore uncritical according to the german workplace directive ASR A 3.6. The distribution of aerosols in the room is effectively reduced.
The existing heating system shall be optimised with regard to its heat distribution. The aim is to increase the heat output without increasing the fire hazard due to hot spots. Trials with different heating coil arrangements did not bring the desired success.
Due to the optimised inflow conditions, the heat power can easily be increased by 20 %. The temperature distribution is now much more even. At the same time, the maximum temperature at the outlet can be reduced by 100 °C.
The exhaust system of a sports car is to be optimised for the purpose of increasing performance. Sufficient distance to heat-sensitive components (e.g. ignition coils) must be ensured. No parts may protrude from the underbody. In order to optimally use the available installation space while retaining the original catalytic converter position, we have digitally captured the underbody / engine with our 3D scanner.
Our design fulfils all requirements. The primary tubes are larger in diameter, extra long (their lengths differ only ± 2 mm or << 1 %) and designed symmetrically left / right. Due to identical (large) bending radii, the primary tubes can be produced efficiently using a CNC bending machine. The tailpipe now features a X-pipe, which further improves the gas exchange.
Axial wheel meter
The existing axial wheel gas meter is to be investigated for its operating behaviour at different, disturbed inflows. Based on these findings, the rectifier element in front of the impeller shall be optimised.
Numerical simulations were used to identify the key areas. By making small changes to the rectifier, the operating behaviour is now constant over all (disturbed) inflow conditions.
A sports car is to be equipped with "plug'n'play" add-on parts to improve aerodynamics. The available rear wing is being investigated in different heights, angles of attack (AOA) and with and without Gurney. The add-on parts are intended to reduce lift or convert it into downforce while increasing drag as little as possible.
In the variant shown, the lift of the reference model (approx. 600 N) is in combination with the canards transformed into double downforce. At the same time the drag coefficient increases relatively low by 0.024 points. (Calculations base on a modified DrivAer model, pictures show results at 250 km/h).
Further projects / innovations
- Air guidance, several optimised, e.g. to increase the energy efficiency of tumble dryers at half loads
- Actuator, self-regulating and fully functional without electronics and power supply
- CAD, IronPhyton based script for automated design of an electric motor (30 parameters)
- Charge air cooler, optimised (approx. half pressure loss) and adapted to existing installation space
- Chassis, all-round optimisation incl. alignment, corner balance, spring rates and lift-kit retrofit
- Chassis, universally retrofittable pneumatic Lift-Kit to rise the front axle
- Fan test rig, multifunctional for laser-optical and characteristic curve measurements
- Flush nozzles, optimised for low turbulence and to be free from air bubbles
- Gas meter (industry), modular concept for four meter classes (G10-G40) and various country variants
- Gas meter (households), ultra-compact (1.5l volume) for the use of static as well as calorimetric sensors
- Heat exchanger, several optimised, for e.g. higher condensing capacity and lower pressure loss
- Mixing chamber, efficient mixing of two gas flows over a large operating range
- Measurement data, automated software tool incl. collection, sorting, evaluation functions as well as graphical representations
- Process engineering, several optimised, e.g. for higher drying and energy efficiency
- Semi-trailer (truck), with reduced air resistance without usage restrictions
- Simulation workflow, developed for coupling fluid and structural as well as electro-magnetic computations
- Test planning / monitoring with traffic light system, machine operation / functions (HMI) / PC communication
- Valve, 3/2-way for steriliser with optimised steam and water distribution
- Volute casing design, optimised by means of „AIArtifical intelligence“ (bionic approaches) based on installation space and operating point
- Water guidance, several optimised, for e.g. low cavitation risk and better mixing and many more...
engineering office, CFD, computaional fluid dynamics, fluid mechanics, FEM, structural mechanics, simulation, topology optimisation, bionik, evolution strategy, CIP, Six Sigma, Lean Management, quality, innovation, efficiency, aerodynamic, air flow, fan, blower, pump